Sunday, October 21, 2012

Liar, liar

Several thing's have transpired in the past few months that have made me want to write a post about this. As a stay at home mom and just a mom in general, I struggle with having it all together. I mean, come on, my husband knows me so well he bought me sweat pants for our anniversary. It wasn't because I work out all the time, let me tell you.
  I'm not talking about looking good because, honestly, if I had the money I would look pretty fly all the time. I'm talking about the lovey dovey, "my kids are so precious and GOOD all the time". Acting like the little sillies only do naughty things once every other day.
Your a liar. Annnddd I'm calling you out on it because it's not fair to all the other mom's out there struggling to keep their crap together and not fall apart in front of the other mom's at church, preschool, friend groups, etc. This is why you join a wine club...er, I mean BOOK club. Kidding! Kind of...
  I clearly, CLEARLY remember the year that my first son was about 1 and a half and our second son was a few months old. I cannot even express how thankful I was that my husband told me to be a stay at home mom, it saved us from a lot. BUT I realised REALLY quickly that, more than I knew, my identity was wrapped up in being a mom who was able to get  out of the house at least twice a week. And so I started to lose my mind....slowly but surely. And then I became bitter. REALLY bitter. I was mad at my husband and about how my life was. Here is something that is true, IT HAPPENS TO ALL OF US. There is this window of time for about a year or two with moms that have kids where you can't stand your life.
  But I have a secret, it gets better. It's not going to be tomorrow, it's not even going to be a few weeks down the road. What you will notice is, that over time, it's gotten easier and you are able to enjoy most things again.

 I can still remember being so angry at my husband for the tenth week in a row that I felt like we needed marriage counseling. It was a moment where I wanted to punch him in the face and run him over with the minivan. We sat down with our pastor, who forewarned us that he wasn't good at marriage counseling, to get stuff off MY chest ;). He listened, said "that sucks", and gave us a pamphlet for a marriage seminar. We didn't go, we didn't have the money. Thank God for amazing parents who listened patiently to me rant about my husband and kids, all while telling me it gets better (and secretly calling my husband to tell him it gets better...and not to leave their daughter for the love of all that's holy!!!).
  I completely feel like you need to make sure you are plugged into groups that get you out of the house. You NEED to be in MOPS or a women's bible study or WHATEVER, just so you can meet with other people that have been through it. Don't fake it till you make it. Because you won't make it.
  Please feel free to drop me a message ANYTIME about your confessions. There were times I wondered why I was a mom, why I was still staying at home and how I was going to make it through. *this* person you are right now, WILL NOT be the same person once your kids can wipe their ow butts. Once they can get dressed by themselves (and seriously, let the kid dress himself/herself. You will look back and laugh at the underwear on the head someday). Make themselves breakfast. Your life and the person you are will come back to you. At some point you will again do your hair and wear makeup....for a date.
  The one thing I really want to leave with you is not to compare yourself. People have said to me a hundred times over "Really?? You feel that way about your kids/life/husband??". Let's be real with each other because it takes a village to raise these kids!! There are no secrets in a village people!!!

6 comments:

  1. Amen! I don't know what I would do without Facebook, sometimes it's the only time I talk to adults ALL day! There has been plenty of times I've wanted to run away and I have to physically remind myself that I love my kids, I love my husband.... It does get better, it helps having a savior who loves us and reminds me that I screw up with Him as much as my kids do with me! Thanks for the encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog, anna. Sometimes I think you're writing about me:) We should live by each other! Is there any vacancies in your village?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am writing about you...I'm outside your window watching right now... ;). Always room, move up here and we can let our kids raise each other!!

      Delete
  3. funny...I have worked pretty much all of my life. When I had Morgan and her twin brother Logan they were born 3 1/2 months early. My job called me the day Morgan came out of ICU onto a regular floor at Childrens Hospital. They told me I was out of sick and vacation time...what did I want to do? I asked for a years leave of absence and they said no. I was working for a social service agency that was all about helping families and they said no to a leave of absence. So I said see ya. Morgan finally came home after 3 1/2 months in the Hospital. After I had been home for about a week with her (We couldn't leave the house for about a year with her because her lungs were underdeveloped) Eli came home from work, walks in the back door and I am cooking dinner. He asks me "how does it feel to be a house wife?" Oh boy I felt like punching him then!!! It does get better though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah, I KNOW, right????? They don't get it but they REALLY try!! There are those days though, man....it certainly is work but I'm SURE some day we will miss it, right??? ;)

      Delete